[OS X TeX] Table Question

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Apr 24 19:38:56 CEST 2011

Le 24 avr. 2011 à 19:12, Jada Watson a écrit :

> Thanks for the help so far everyone!
>
> Berend: Thanks for noticing the "1" instead of lowercase "l" in the bolded line of the code. I am so embarrassed that I didn't notice that myself. I made the change it the Error message is gone!
>
> Peter, the \up{} codes allow me to superscript text, like the "ère" in the French text of the table. I can't remember where I found them, but it was on a page dedicated to language in LaTeX. If I can find it again, I will forward the link.

The \up{} comes from \usepackage[french]{babel}, as told by Alan Munn

But the recommended ways of typing 1st in French are 1\up{er} (M) and  1\up{re} (F), not 1\up{ier}, 1\up{ière} or 1\up{ère}

Similarly, the recommended way of typing 5th is 5\up{e}, not 5\up{ième}

You can look at The LaTeX Companion , 2nd French edition, p. 580. To enforce the preceding rules, you have commands with the following outputs:

\ier ---> \up{er}
\iere ---> \up{re}
\iers ---> \up{ers}
\ieres ---> \up{res}
\ieme ---> \up{e}
\iemes ---> \up{es}

(The general scheme is:

name of the macro made from the popular abbreviation ---> approved typographical use)

André Bellaïche