[OS X TeX] TeXShop balance begin/end

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 16 14:28:51 CEST 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 8:22 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> Thanks Herb, as a neophyte, the information below was useful. TeXShop is awesome.  :-) However ...
>
>> <<snip>>
>> Do you mean that it inserts matched pairs when you press the opening delimiter; e.g., you press { and you get {} with any selection and the insertion point between them? If so turn TeXshop->Preferences->Source->Edit->Auto Complete.
>>
>> If that doesn't work it may be that that isn't set as a keybinding in the default autocompletion.plist file found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/ (~ is your HOME directory). Open that up using UTF-8 encoding and add the lines
>>
>> <key>{</key>
>> <string>{#SEL##INS#}</string>
>
> Here, the file «autocompletion.plist» does not contain the two lines you note above. I would make the insertion using TextEdit, but am a bit leery about how TextEdit would 'save' the file.
>
> If I open «TextEdit -> Preferences... -> Open and Save» then in the «Plain Text File Encoding» area, the options for «Opening files:» and «Saving files:» are set to «Automatic». The popup that explains «Automatic» suggests (to me) that I don't have to do anything; i.e., TextEdit will save the file without changing its encoding!! Instead of «Automatic» I could specify Unicode (UTF-8).
>
> I don't want to screw up a system file.
>

> Don Green Dragon
> fergdc at Shaw.ca

Howdy,

If you aren't interested in purchasing BBEdit the same company, BareBones Software, produces a free version called TextWrangler. See <http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/>. I consider these some of the finest text editors around.

Oh... TextWrangler should open the file just fine.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)