[OS X TeX] counting words in 2010

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 29 03:59:24 CEST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> The problem I'm seeing is with /usr/texbin/detex as supplied with TeX
> Live 2010 as opposed to the versions supplied with TeX Live 2008 and
> 2009. Essentially, I'm getting much lower word counts than I should
> because detex is stripping out text which it really shouldn't. The
> things I'm certain about include footnote text and italicised text but
> I suspect these are just a part of the problem.

In testing some short example files, it seemed that the contents of \emph{}, \textbf{} and so on are being counted, but not the contents of \footnote{}. However, footnote text built with the construction \begin{footnote}{}\end{footnote} seemed to be correctly counted. The man page for detex spells out the limited customizations that may be applied to detex.

Michael