[OS X TeX] Re: Re: Re: Help with bibliography (Alan Munn) (Alan Munn) (Alan Munn)

Anand Ramaswamy xanandra at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:38:04 CET 2010

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Anand Ramaswamy wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>> Thanks for the sample file. It solved my immediate problem but it
>> creates another problem because somehow bibunits is incompatible with
>> chapterbib...
>> so although my publications show up in the root document as intended
>> the references to chapter bibliographies in individual chapters show
>> up as "?" in the final compiled document. When I comment out bibunits
>> in the include package in the root document the problem goes away but
>> then I cant put my references in the root document as I would like.
>>
>> any idea how to get around this?
>>

> As I said, I'm not very familiar with chapterbib, but it seems that
> bibunits provides all of the functionality of chapterbib, so you
> probably shouldn't use both at the same time. Do you need a separate
> bibliography for each chapter?
>
> If so, then after each chapter should look schematically like this:
>
> \chapter{}
> \begin{bibunit}
> \putbib[]
> \end{bibunit}.
>
> This works whether or not the chapter is in your root document or
> inserted with \include{}.
>
> If you don't have chapter bibliographies, but you have a single
> bibliography for all of the chapters following your vita, then you can
> just put your regular citation commands and bibliography commands and
> don't need a \bibunit{} environment except for the vita publication
> list.
>
> If the problem you're having (given your comment about ? references)
> is that bibtex isn't finding all the aux files, make sure you are
> using the pdflatexmk engine (as I suggested in my sample file.)
> Bibunits works by creating a different aux file for each bibunit, so
> bibtex needs to be run on each of them.  The pdflatexmk (or latexmk)
> engine is aware of these aux files, and so will run bibtex correctly
> on each of these aux files; if you just run compile your file with the
> regular TeXShop engine and use the TeXShop bibtex menu item, the
> bibunit aux files won't be found.
>
> So the simple solution is use the (pdf)latexmk engine, and use only
> bibunits, not both bibunits and chapterbib.
>
> HTH
>
> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Munn
> amunn at gmx.com

Hi Alan,
I commented out the chapterbib package and included the bibunits
package (from your earlier post) and included the following after the
chapter call in the root document for eg.
\include{chapter1/intro}
\begin{bibunit}[IEEEtran]
\putbib[c1references]
\end{bibunit}

\include{chapter2/background}
However I get the same problem as I had before with the "?". I do have
pdflatexmk installed and my .bib files are all in
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib which the pdflatexmk engine should be aware
of. when I use chapterbib instead of bibunits it seems to be find the
.bib files just fine.

I tried putting the following code at the end of  the individual
chapter .tex file itself and running the root document (CTRL-T) as
before but i get compilation errors.
\begin{bibunit}[IEEEtran]
\putbib[c1references]
\end{bibunit}