[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Question

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Sun May 30 09:33:45 CEST 2010

> In Texshop, I use header lines like: %!TEX TS-program = latex. I use \include and \includeonly very often when I work on a large project and forward and inverse search work extremely well in the current version, so I probably would not need a "project" window. However, in keeping with the spirit of Texshop to make things easier for newcomers to tex and latex, the ability to start a "book" project, with chapter and section files, exercise files, solutions files, and to organize them in an "XCode" groups and files type environment would be a very good thing, particularly for new comes who don't know much about "including" files.

Fully agree :-)

On the other hand I understand the concerns about TeXShop becoming too bloated. So it's down to thinking carefully about how to implement a new project feature such that it isn't forced upon the user. If one needs to typeset a single file quickly then that should be possible from the familiar minimal TeXShop window that people have come to love. If support for an entire project is needed only then the more powerful GUI infrastructure should be exposed to the user.

Hence in my opinion a clean and uncluttered interface and more advanced features don't mutually exclude each other. To the contrary. What matters is a cleverly designed GUI.

Best,
Oliver