[OS X TeX] Need help collaborating with Windows user

John Burt burt at brandeis.edu
Fri Mar 12 21:14:52 CET 2010

I think the problem is that your other user does not have all the packages you use installed. For instance, to do the graphics right, you should both be using graphicx, and the graphics should be in a format graphicx know about. If you are using pdflatex, .pdf for the graphics will be fine. For the dvi route you may need other formats. For the citations, you may need the .sty file that goes with that citation (e.g. chicago.sty, mla.sty, or some such), to provide some of the special reference commands called for by that style. LaTeX will always complain about the citations the first time through, but once you have run BibTex and run LaTeX again twice, it should stop complaining. If your collaborator is a novice, you may need to walk him or her through how to install the style packages s/he needs.

In addition, there may also be an encoding problem (Macs, Unix boxes, and Windows machines all have different conventions for line-end coding). If that's the problem, you can open the files in your text editor (I use AlphaX, but TeXshop can do this too), and just save them in the other encoding. But I don't think this is the problem