[OS X TeX] Need help collaborating with Windows user

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Fri Mar 12 06:25:48 CET 2010

Hello, everyone.

Please excuse me if this post is inappropriate for this list; I'm not
sure to where else to turn.

I'm collaborating with a friend on a book project.  Let's call her
Amy.  Amy uses Windows.  She has had trouble trying to compile the
LaTeX files I've written.  I set up a Subversion repository for the
project, but Amy has had trouble installing Subversion on her
computer.  She managed to grab some of the files, but then had trouble
compiling them.  So, after much time, I zipped the project files (from
my Desktop) to see if she could compile that:

<http://ms.yccd.edu/~jb2/PickUp/trunk.zip>  (344.9 MB)

<http://ms.yccd.edu/~jb2/PickUp/interitemtext.sty>  (local .sty file
called)

The main file is "narrowhom.tex".

This is what she's said:

> Hi John,
> I tried to download the zip file twice. After about 45 minutes and
> almost a
> complete download, the connection to your server was severed.  :-(
>
> I had a friend here how does Mac and PC look at the files. We were
> getting
> lots of errors when compiling, even in things I did not touch. It
> appears
> that even though Tex is supposed t be portable, it is not. My Tex
> could not
> figure out what \Oonehunderd was for example. It did not like any of
> the
> citations. It also wouldn't import the images without the .gif, etc.
> So it
> appears to us that my PC version of Tex is not as forgivable as your
> Mac
> version.
>
> For now, I have attached my revised version of chapter 1. I hope I
> did not
> make too many syntax errors. Please let me know if it compiles.
>
> I hope we can find a better fix soon.

I'm at a loss to help her because I'm completely ignorant about using
Windows.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

What should I ask Amy about her set up, so that I can provide you the
information you need to help?  For my part, I'm using TeXLive-2007,
Mac OS 10.5.8, PowerBook G4 (12 inch).  I use "latex", "xdvi", &c. in
X-Windows and not, e.g., TeXShop.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

Yours sincerely,

---John.

(I receive the digest version of this list, so a cc of any reply would
be appreciated.  Thanks again.)