[OS X TeX] Package version on CTAN is newer than what is seen by TeX Live Utility

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 8 23:09:15 CEST 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Jeremy Conlin wrote:

> What is the best way to update manually?  I'm afraid of messing up the
> well organized structure of the TL, by putting the updated files in
> the wrong location, or by neglecting something important.  I know I
> can put the update in ~/Library/texmf, but then I have to delete it
> when TL2010 comes along.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Jeremy

Howdy,

My tendency is to place updated files that may be removed when updating my TL Distribution in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/TemporaryFixes/. In this case download the bibleref.zip file from CTAN, unzip it and compile the bibleref.ins file (no pdf is produced) using pdflatex and then place the whole folder into the directory mentioned above. Then, when you update your TL simply go into that folder and compare the versions there with the ones in the new TL (there's a wonderful program, Find Any File, that will find all bibleref.sty, even in the hidden /usr folder, quickly) and remove the ones that have been updated in the new TL.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)