[OS X TeX] Multiple-page editing

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:18:52 CET 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Wayne Richter wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I am doing a lot of editing these days in TeXShop Version 2.18-svn
>> (2.18) and the fact that, every time I typeset to check what I
>> have just done--which is very often, the multiple-page display
>> jumps so that only ONE page is displayed is getting to be a little
>> bit more than a little bit of a bother.
>>
>> Is there a viewer that would hold a multiple-page display still as
>> I typeset from TeXShop that I could use with a minimal amount of
>> tinkering in TeXShop?
>>
>> Hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>
> If I understand correctly:

I am afraid that I did not make myself clear.

In TeXShop 2.26 (Yes, I dared to upgrade.)

Preview > Display Format 	>	Single Page
							Double Page
							Multipage
							Double Multipage

I am using Multipage, that is the pages scroll vertically. This is
nice when you have a paragraph starting at the bottom of one page and
continuing onto the next page. You can then scroll in such a way that
the "interpage" space  (between the two pages) is in the middle of
the screen so that you can see both the bottom of the first page and
the top of the next page and thus the whole paragraph as if it were
on a single page (modulo the interpage space)

So far, so good.

What happens when I typeset is that the preview scrolls automatically
so that the space between the two pages goes to the nearer of the top
and the bottom of the window instead of staying put so that now you
see only one page and to see your paragraph, you have to scroll again
to place the interpage space back in the middle of the screen

> The problem occurs when you typeset in the two-page format, and the
> last page of the display shows up as a single page.
>
> What I do is put
>
> "\vfill\eject"
>
> just before "\end{document}"
>
> This puts a blank page at the end of the document and keeps the two-
> page format. Then when you have finished the manuscript (which more
> me never happens) you can remove it.
>
> You might want to put  "\vfill\eject" in twice to  sure.

I didn't know these commands, though, and I will have to try them to
see exactly how they do work.

Grateful regards
--schremmer