[OS X TeX] edit spell check dictionary

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 2 17:19:34 CET 2010

Am 02.01.2010 um 16:14 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> The problem is that he wants to do the reverse of the usual
> behavior. He doesn't want to add a new word to the spell checker but
> rather remove a word (fro---as in `to and fro') from the spelling
> dictionary so it gets flagged as an error. I don't see a way of
> negating a word already in the dictionary.

Ah, I understand now: the "fro" is already in the default system's
dictionary! (And was not added by the user.) The directories /System/
Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/<lang>.lproj
contain only binary, i.e., somehow encoded, dictionaries and a DAT
file which probably has rules by which a word is constructed from its
stem form...

So Charles has three options: Snow Leopard, or a different speller,
free or shareware or commercial, or trying to choose another setup/
language choice – maybe with some help from Apple via their Bug
Reporter.

And an experimental choice: renaming any of the bindict* files in /
System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/
English.lproj to possibly get rid of this word "fro." Which would make
it necessary to kill the service and restart it afterwards, for
example by logging off and in again, or using the command line...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge