[OS X TeX] Arial font

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Fri Feb 5 04:40:12 CET 2010

Dear Jung-Tsung,

On 05/02/2010, at 9:12 AM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> A proposal requires the use of Arial font. I have searched the mailing
> list and learned that there are very little differences between
> Helvetica and Arial. The posts also mentioned several different
> commands that allow the use of Helvetica.
>
> However, when opened the compiled PDF, there it clearly says the font
> used is Helvetica.

Yes, and many people can tell the difference just by looking, eg at the digit "1".

> I figured better to use genuine Arial font to avoid
> any problems.

Yes, if the institution is persnickety enough to require Arial, it will be persnickety enough to notice and care about a Helvetica being substituted.

> I then downloaded the fonts and had them installed
> according to the installation guide came with the fonts, but it
> failed. I searched the list and but could not find convergent
> descriptions on how to install such font (but have tried almost each
> of those methods ...).

Try my experimental LaTeX (not XeTeX) support for real TrueType Arial at http://www.verbeia.com/tex/

The package requires Arev math to be installed as well, but that is available in most recent TeXLive-based distributions.

I hope that helps. In fact, if someone could give feedback on how easy the installation instructions I have written are.

Best regards,
Luci