[OS X TeX] Name update for generated files?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 23:49:26 CET 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 14:33 , Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I was typing up the final exam for the course I am teaching this
> semester using TeXShop. After a few runs of compilations, I noticed
> that I carelessly named the file "123_FInal.tex" [with a capital "I"
> (eye)] instead of the correct one "123_Final.tex" with i. The 123 is
> just the course number. I changed the file name to the correct one,
> and continued compiling. The other generated files (.pdf ...) however
> did not update their file name even after compiling (the content
> certainly was updated). I quit TeXShop and started again but it's the
> same. I had to manually deleted all generated files and started a
> fresh compilation to get the file names right. Is this a quirk of the
> Mac file system (OS 10.6.5) or TeXShop?

The default for Mac OS X file systems is HFS, which is "case insensitive", in that "Final" and "FInal" are the same name.  In addition, the file system will retain the spelling of a name of an existing file even if you overwrite it, so that, if "FInal" exists, and you create the file "Final" in the same directory, the "new" file will be named "FInal".

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker