[OS X TeX] Optimal Solution for an asymptotemk engine

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 9 18:51:34 CEST 2010

Howdy,

John Collins, the maintainer of latexmk, just came up with a magic (as far as I'm concerned) solution for automatically compiling a file that uses asymptote without any extra runs of asy and still runs the optimal number of times (also running bibtex/makeindex, etc.). While I understand what he has done I certainly don't understand exactly why it works.

Take the asymptotemkrc file and place it in ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk/. Take the asymptotemk.engine file and place it in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/. Restart TeXShop so it ``knows'' about the asymptotemk engine. Place the line

% !TEX TS-program = asymptotemk

and typeset. No extra runs of asy (a great time waster) or compiles when nothing has changed.

John Collins really knows latexmk inside out so I really appreciate his active help in this.