[OS X TeX] Editing with a TeXShop bug

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 30 04:11:25 CEST 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> TeXShop has a bug;
>
> When you hit Apple B the whole source is boldfaced. Hit Apple Z and
> the whole source reverts to normal as it should. Now start typing.
> The source you are typing is boldfaced.
>
> Since I am not a good typist, it happens to me a bit more than I
> would like.
>
> BUT: it finally occurred to me that this is an excellent way to see
> what I am adding to the source when I am editing since the "bug"
> survives typesetting.
>
> Of course, if you close and re-open the source everything is back to
> normal.
>
> So, in fact,
>
> TeXShop has a very nice editing feature.
>
> Happy regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I've always disliked the use of Cmd-B and Cmd-I assigned to setting
the SOURCE text into Bold or Italic; they would be much better sued to
run macros that inserted the selection into \textbf{...} and \emph
{...}. I dislike those shortcuts enough that I've removed them in a
personal build of TeXShop.

When you set Cmd-B all of the present text is converted to Bold and
anything you then add will also be bold. By doing a Cmd-Z you undo the
change to existing text but the Bold toggle is still turned on.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)