[OS X TeX] carriage return character

ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr
Wed Sep 9 15:02:15 CEST 2009

  Hello all,

   I need to put the "return carriage" character (U+21B5 in Unicode) in my
text.

Question 1 : Is it possible to write it directly, without using the ucs
package ?

  I tried to use the ucs package, so I put
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

in my preamble.

  It does not work, however ; I got the following error message :

! Package ucs Error : Unknown Unicode character 8629=U+21B5,
(ucs)                 possibly declared in uni-33.def
(ucs)                 Type H to see if it is available with
options.

   I obediently typed "H" :

Unicode character 8629= U+21B5;
DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH CORNER LEFTWARDS
DOWN ARROW WITH CORNER LEFT
Character available with following options:
  postscipt.
Enter I!<RET> to define the glyph

   I obediently typed "I!", then "return" :

Please enter definition for unicode character 8629

  Not knowing what to put, I just pressed the "return" key. Then the
compilation
finishes, but the .pdf file displays
  "GenericError LaTeX Error: Can be used only in preambleSee the LaTeX
manual or LaTeX Companion "

   How may I fix this ?

                                                     Ewan