[OS X TeX] phantom-like trick?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 8 06:27:00 CEST 2009

On 08/09/2009, at 1:59 PM, david craig wrote:

> Is there an easy trick to getting the SUBSCRIPTS in a expressions like
>
> \Psi_{\overline{\Delta\nu^*}}
>
> and
>
> \Psi_{\Delta\nu^*}
> to share the same baseline?

Have you experimented with  \smash ?

These should come out with the same baseline:

   \Psi_{\smash{\overline{\Delta\nu^*}}}

   \Psi_{\smash{\Delta\nu^*}}

but it need not be exactly the same as either without
the \smash .

In the attached image, the middle two use \smash
whereas the outer two do not:
  $\Psi_{\overline{\Delta\nu^*}}
  \Psi_{\smash{\overline{\Delta\nu^*}}}
  \Psi_{\smash{\Delta\nu^*}}