[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so = [OT] electronic books

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Wed Oct 28 10:14:15 CET 2009

Hi,

at least for the FIRST book (dissertation) most universities in
Germany offer to publish and host it electronically, some even support
LaTeX… though – in humanities afaik MSWord is still the standard to
get either a html- or pdf-version for such publication service.
Recommended for wider reach to a scientific audience is to offer it
electronically AND in printed form (on demand). In my field (history)
the printed book still rules.

Regards,
Rolf

Am 27.10.2009 um 23:46 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Jason Davies <ophiochos at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> the vast majority of the cost of a book is the preparation.
>>
>> I am really surprised. My experience is that all typesetting is done
>> by the author. It may be another story with textbooks but for
>> research
>> monographs!
>> The same story with journals. Reviewers AFAIK are free
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I guess I interpret the statement as referring to the writing of the
> book rather than the typesetting.
>
> When I was going to graduate school (quite a bit before TeX was
> around) I understood that books that contained maths were expensive
> because they required specially trained typesetting talent. Now that
> there is software that allows for the author typesetting the maths
> with no special typesetting talent necessary I no longer understand
> why books are so expensive.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/