[OS X TeX] 64 Bit Binaries for TeX Live 2009

Konrad Podczeck konrad.podczeck at univie.ac.at
Tue Nov 24 23:20:12 CET 2009

Am 24.11.2009 um 22:55 schrieb Richard Koch:

> Konrad,
>
> I'm the guy who made BasicTeX. I flat out don't believe the binaries are faster in BasicTeX for a rather simple reason: they are exactly the same binaries. To make BasicTeX, I use the same TeX Live install script and just cut down the number of texmf files installed. For details, read the document at
>
> 	www.uoregon.edu/~koch
>
> BasicTeX was designed for people who had slow download speeds or lacked space for the full TeX Live. However, whenever possible, we recommend the full MacTeX (i.e., full TeX Live). And in particular, that's why the 64 bit binaries are only available for the full version.

O.k.. But maybe the binaries have more to do under full TeX Live than under BasicTeX, because the field to search for style files, tfm files etc, is larger under full TeX Live. In fact, following Herb's request, I made some measurement using the time command, and, on average, the time reported for compilation  under full TeX Live  is about  0.2 seconds larger than that reported under Basic TeX, and it seems that this is independent of the length of the file to be compiled.  Of course, in absolute terms this is negligible, but for smaller files this can mean 100%.

Konrad