[OS X TeX] 64 Bit Binaries for TeX Live 2009

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 24 22:55:21 CET 2009

Konrad,

I'm the guy who made BasicTeX. I flat out don't believe the binaries are faster in BasicTeX for a rather simple reason: they are exactly the same binaries. To make BasicTeX, I use the same TeX Live install script and just cut down the number of texmf files installed. For details, read the document at

	www.uoregon.edu/~koch

BasicTeX was designed for people who had slow download speeds or lacked space for the full TeX Live. However, whenever possible, we recommend the full MacTeX (i.e., full TeX Live). And in particular, that's why the 64 bit binaries are only available for the full version.

Dick Koch