[OS X TeX] OT: Mathematica and SL

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 24 19:02:55 CET 2009

I was wondering if Mathematica could use its multiple kernels (under my license I can use 4) in SL and ran  Mathematica's own Benchmark test.

With a single Mathematica kernel my machine (8-core Mac Pro 2.68 GHz, running a 64-bit kernel) scored 3.07 while using all 4 kernels it scored 10.00. If I recall correctly I ran the same test in Leopard, but though four Mathematica kernels were available only one had been used.

Actually there are 5 Mathematica kernels running, one is called master and the others local. Maybe the master kernel is distributing the tasks?

Let me add that while the test ran Time Machine was doing a backup.

Claus

=== System Information ===

Machine Name:          4-node homogeneous cluster
System:                MacOSX-x86-64
Date:                  November 24, 2009
Mathematica Version:   7.0.1
Benchmark Result:      10.00

=== MathematicaMark7 System Comparison ===

4-node homogeneous cluster      10.01
MacOSX-x86-64

2.40 GHz Intel Core2 Q6660      3.91
Microsoft Windows (64-bit)