[OS X TeX] TeX Live Sources

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 9 23:46:13 CET 2009

Folks,

On Nov 9, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 09.11.2009 um 22:13 schrieb Victor Ivrii:
>
>> Is there any way to compile kpathsea libraries without compiling whole TeXLive?
>
> TeX is not GPL'ed, so its sources can be obscured. (And it's a TeX Live decision which MacTeX follows.)

Peter's words are directed at Victor's question, which I don't know how to answer. But it is conceivable that the remarks will mislead casual readers. The complete source code for TeX Live is available at http://www.tug.org/texlive/svn/. It can be downloaded by anyone using the rsync command described at this site; special svn permission is not required. Complete instructions for building these sources is at http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html.  MacTeX is compiled directly from this rsync copy; the install package is made by running Apple's packagemaker pointed to a copy of TeX Live installed from the rsync copy.

Said another way: there aren't any secrets.

Dick Koch