[OS X TeX] Selection across the two panes of the source window

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Sat Nov 7 23:03:03 CET 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I am moving big chunks of source around and, rather than clicking,
> scrolling and shift-clicking so that I can't see the beginning of my
> selection anymore, I would like to split the window, click in the
> upper pane and shift-click in the lower pane to have everything in-
> between selected with the beginning of the selection highlighted in
> the upper pane and the end of the selection highlighted in the lower
> pane.
>
> I am still running TeXShop 2.18 which does not do this and I would
> like to know if later versions of TeXShop do.
>
> If not, do the people feel that this would be a worthwhile request
> to be added to the "List of feature requests on this list"?

I think this is an interesting idea, and I wonder if it has ever been
done before.

I could see this type of copy-paste as being triggered by selecting a
portion of text, and then scrolling up/down.
The direction of the initial scroll would indicate whether you were
trying to select a block of text higher or lower, and place the bottom/
top at the extreme of the window, and as you scroll the paper could
"tear" to let you know that you were still scrolling up.
You would have to have something mid-window to let you scroll back the
other direction in case of an overshoot, perhaps the "tear"?
I don't know, this might not be an expected behavior for select-
scrolling, but I can attest to the fact that the current behaviour,
where you have to wait for the window to scroll up/down can be a real
pain.
That's why I switched to using emacs, although I do use TexShop for
some documents.