[OS X TeX] Card Format

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat May 9 13:58:05 CEST 2009

Am 09.05.2009 um 07:11 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> \begin{center}
> 	\begin{tabular}{@{} |l|l| @{}}
> 		\hline
> 	%Row0title
> 			\textbf{Task} 13
> 		&	\textbf{Solution}
> 		\\
> 		\hline
> 	%Row0text
> 			\begin{minipage}[t]{50mm}
> Given the function $f$ whose global input-output rule is
> \begin{displaymath}
>  x \xrightarrow{\hspace{2mm} f\hspace{2mm}} f(x) =
> \frac{\polynomial[reciprocal]{1,,,-8}}{\polynomial[reciprocal]{1,,-1}}
> \end{displaymath}
> find the sign of the \emph{concavity} of $f$ near $\infty$
> 		\vspace{2mm}
> 			\end{minipage}
> 		&	\begin{minipage}[t]{110mm}

You don't gain much when you use \begin{center} for such a wide table
instead of the geometry package (the page will look better, too). And
you also make the code too complicated by using minipages in tables.
It's possible, that's clear and obvious, but

	\begin{tabular}{|p{50mm}|p{110mm}|}	% what do the @{} on both sides
give with |?

without minipages give automatically the same result. The p{width}
setting puts the text of the cell into a

	\parbox[t]{width}{cell's context}

(And a minipage isn't that different.) The separation of the
exercises in *one* table (\begin{tabular}{|p{145mm}|p{15mm}|})
without minipages can be achieved by

	\\\hline
	\multicolumn{2}{l}{}\\[-2mm]\hline

The optional [-2mm] reduces the space between the lines. (The
multicolumn statement also takes settings like

	\multicolumn{2}{|l|}{}\\[-2mm]\hline
	\multicolumn{2}{|l}{}\\[-2mm]\hline
	\multicolumn{2}{l|}{}\\[-2mm]\hline

which might be able to suggest the use of just one large table
spanning many pages with columns of discrete widths which are from
case to case glued together by multicolumn statements.) And I think
you also could put the multitude of little tables and text into one
table…

BTW, where does the \polynomial come from?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.