[OS X TeX] Invoking latex with tex + ghostscript option?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jul 8 17:16:24 CEST 2009

Am 08.07.2009 um 16:09 schrieb Robert Morelli:

>> Using the five letter word (or command) "latex" you'll get DVI. By
>> adding '-output-format=dvi' you can force latex and pdflatex etc.
>> to produce DVI.
>
> Using "latex" or "latex -output-format=dvi" both invoke pdflatex,
> just as if I'd written "pdflatex."

Then you need to go back ten years or dump your own latex.fmt with
the aid of tex. The utilities fmtutil or fmtutil-sys are the
interface to this. It seems possible to simply change the line

	latex pdftex language.dat -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini

	latex    tex language.dat -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini

>>> I was told that I need to invoke latex with the "tex + ghostscript"
>>> option. How do I do that?
>>
>> Preferences -> Typesetting tab -> Default Script
> There are no preferences or tabs. I'm using the command line (or
> AucTeX from Aquamacs).

Then customise AUCTeX! It's documented. And from experience I know
that it works with shell scripts. Even with TeXShop ENGINE files.

>>> Also, is there a way to arrange it so the latex command used on
>>> the files pdftricks generates has that option?
>>

>> You can create your own ENGINE file and put it into ~/Library/
>> TeXShop/Engines. Herb once proposed a ps4pdf.engine file:
> I don't use TeXShop. TeXShop has its own text editor but I
> generally use Emacs (or Aquamacs).
> I tried TeXShop once and it didn't read my $TEXMF* variables so
> didn't find my custom texinputs.
> It didn't seem worth fooling with.

You could rearrange your TEXINPUTS or create sym-links or create and
edit

	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf.cnf

TEXMFHOME seems a useful candidate for your purpose. Then TeXShop
does not need to know these details.

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.