[OS X TeX] BibTex with MacTeX

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Tue Jan 6 21:57:20 CET 2009

At 12:42 PM -0800 1/6/09, Max Weiss wrote:
>Sorry, this is a very basic question.
>
>I recently installed a MacTeX in OSX 10.5.6, and laTeX is working fine
>with TeXShop.  However, I'm not sure how to get BibTeX running.  Where
>do I put the .bib and .bst files?  The MacTeX FAQ suggests
>[~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib].  However, my /texmf directory seems to
>have ended up as [/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist].  I put the .bib
>file here but BibTeX still can't find it.
>
>...Is it necessary to have TeX installed so that this stuff can only
>be manipulated in Terminal?  Or, for example, is there a way to move
>the installation so it can be manipulated in Finder, and then to point
>TeXShop to its new home?  I'm not very comfortable with Terminal and
>am too lazy to use it just for BibTeX.

There's a difference between the texmf in /usr/local and the one in
your home directory Library.

If there is not already a folder texmf in your home folder/Library,
create one with the following folders inside it: (This should be
enough to get you going)

doc
tex with subfolder latex
bibtex with subfolders bib and bst

Then put your bib file in the ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib
and your bst files in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst

Any packages that you download yourself (not part of TeXLive) would
reside in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex

Any documentation for those packages should go into ~/Library/texmf/doc

All of this can be done with the finder.  No terminal required. To
get to your Library folder, click on your Home folder and then find
the Library folder.  Create the texmf folder there.

Alan

Alan Munn						amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages		Tel.
	517-355-7491
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824 USA	Fax	517-432-2736