Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Sun Jan 4 18:39:42 CET 2009

Le 4 janv. 09 à 18:31, Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit :

> On lundi 05 janv. 09, at 02:17, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> How about a couple of great reference books: Kopka and Daly,
>> ``Guide to laTeX,'' 4th Edition and Mittlebach, Goosens, etc., ``
>> The LaTeX Companion,'' 2nd Edition. The first is a wonderful
>> introduction to LaTeX with all sorts of general information. The
>> second is a huge compendium of information on customizing LaTeX as
>> well and using many packages with LaTeX.
>>
>> XeLaTeX is very new and therefore not all that well documented.
>> Hopefully that will change over time. The only (limited)
>> documentation I know of is ``The XeTeX Companion'' edited by Michel
>> Goosens. It can be obtained as <http://cern.ch/XML/lgc2/
>> xetexmain.pdf>. I warn you ahead of time that it is a work in
>> progress and incomplete although it is a good start.
>
> I am sorry, none of those books appeared on my radar when I search
> for "latex introduction français" or even "latex introduction
> french". And none of the documents I found gave me explicit and/or
> valid information regarding the display of French characters using
> LateX.

Together with F. Conus I wrote a (very short) introduction to LaTeX on
Mac OS X, in French. In section 2, we deal with this problem.

http://redac.cuk.ch/franck/article-cuk-latex-pdf/intro-latex-rev.pdf

We also talk shortly about XeTeX in section 6.

If it can help… But it seems that your level is already  way beyond
this introduction.

HTH,

Franck Pastor