[OS X TeX] [OT] Mactex for Windows?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 24 22:39:12 CET 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Daniel Becker wrote:

> Hallo -
>
> In Short: I would like to have something similar like mactex. And I
> would be happy if the install is as easy as with MacTeX.
>
> Longer:
>
> A friend of mine is asking me to help him install TeX&Co on a
> Windows machine. I would like to have him using
>
> * TeXLive2008 and to have an
> * easy-to-work-with Editor + Previewer combination with the default
> mode being pdflatex and pdf as an output.
> * Back- and forward synchronisation should be possible.
>
> It would be great if all this would be enabled by default.
>
> I know that WinEdt is a good Editor, but isn't there something more
> TeXShop-like (Easier)? TeXWorks is not ready yet ....
>
> Would be happy about any hints to up-to-date tutorials etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

Howdy,

I'm not Windows savvy (tried 1.05, hated it and never went back :-) )
but I believe the most popular TeX distribution on Windows is MikTeX
and Editor of choice in WinEDT although there probably is a Windows
version of TeXworks which is modeled from TeXShop. You can also get
TeX Live 2008 for Windows (MacTeX installs TeX Live).

Sure others will chime in.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)