[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Aug 30 21:06:34 CEST 2009

Yesterday I installed Snow Leopard (SL) on two Macs. Here are my experiences.

Mac 1. An early Intel iMac Core Duo, cannot run in 64-bit mode.
Mac 2. Brand new MacBook Core 2 Duo (2.563 GHz)
can run in 64-bit mode. This machine was `cloned'
using migration assistant from
Mac 3. PowerBook G4 (cannot run SL).
Prior to the installation of SL all three Macs
run Leopard 10.5.8 Texshop 2.26 with TeXLive-2008.

The installation on Macs 1 and 2 went smoothly
IIRC about 50-35 min. Naturally, the first thing
I tried was Tex. Typeset the same file on Macs 1
and 2 without any problems. Forgot to time with
Leopard but subjectively typesetting was faster.
Of course the TeX engine, as far as I understand,
doesn't take advantage of 64-bit processing so
one should not expect speed improvements but
Apple's pdf rendering (Preview?) does, so Mac 2
might show some speed gain. Perhaps someone yet
to upgrade should record times.

TeX Distribution Pref Pane in Mac 1 worked
without needing to reopen but Mac 2 needed to
reopen. Next I checked my path (in Terminal: echo
$PATH): Mac 1 was OK but not Mac 2. Not
surprisingly, Mac 2 would not understand commands
like texhash, kpsewhich etc either. After adding
/usr/texbin to my path on Mac 2 all was well.
[Note to Luci Ellis: you have to log out and log
in again for the path change to take effect. Did
you do that before trying texhash, updmap again?]

Back to typesetting several other files, no
problem even Tikz function plotting calling on
GnuPlot worked (Mac 2). I did notice one thing
though: lots more  LaTeX commands were underlined
in red in the input file by the spellchecker than
I remembered. [ TeXShop-> Prefs-> Source check
Spelling ticked, TeXShop->Edit Check spelling
while typing checked.] A comparison with Mac 3 on
the same file confirmed this. In fact most of the
commands are now underlined (exceptions: \begin
\end \item ..). Mac 1 was running CoCoAspell
before SL but not Mac 2. The pref pane is still
there and working on Mac 1 but CoCoAspell itself
seems to be broken, checked in TexEdit.Now both
Macs 1 and 2 seems to be the same, unsatisfactory
state as far as TeX spellchecking is concerned.
Can anyone else confirm this and/or offer an
explanation?

Other apps: All my apps seem to work OK, many
needing Rosetta though.  SL will warn you to
install this when needed. On Mac 2  I went with
the default install which _does not_ include
Rosetta. On the next install on Mac 1 I chose
Custom install and checked Rosetta.

I had one strange `timewarp' experience. When
checking my apps one-by-one I came to one which I
have not used for some time: Auntie. This is a
BBC news reader (RSS?) serving headlines in a
ticker-tape mode. It launched OK under Rosetta
and told me that it was fetching the headlines.
These duly appeared but none of them seemed to be
the ones I just heard on the radio. Mostly UK
oriented but to give you the flavour one said:
"Soul legend Edwin Starr has died aged 61." Mind
you, this alone would not have aroused my
suspicions, not knowing who Edwin Starr was in
the first place. Clicking on a headline takes you
to the appropriate BBC web page: these all dated
2003! I have no idea where Auntie now gets these
headlines from.

One last thing: literally as I write this on Mac
,1 Mac 2 next to me went into screensave mode:
strange words float by occasionally stopping on
one and giving the description from the
Dictionary. Bit like Readers Digest trying to
teach you new isoteric words. never seen this,
didn't choose it, must be a SL default.

Peter