[OS X TeX] Beamer, columns within itemize

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Sat Aug 29 10:28:01 CEST 2009

> The problem is that two times 0.5\linewidth makes exactly \linewidth
> and then no space is left for separators and other spaces (my short
> "answer" was a bit misleading or not exact, sorry).

I see ...

> I think what you want is produced by this:
>
>    \begin{itemize}
>        \item Fruit
>            %\rule{\linewidth}{.4pt}
>            \begin{columns}[t]
>                \begin{column}{.49\linewidth}
>                    Enter text into the left column
>                \end{column}
>                \begin{column}{.51\linewidth}
>                    Enter text into the right column
>                \end{column}
>            \end{columns}
>        \item Vegetable
>    \end{itemize}

Still not quite what I'm looking for ... my problem is that the
columns environment doesn't align correctly, even with column1 +
column2 < totalwidth:

---
\documentclass{beamer}

\begin{document}

\begin{frame}
     \frametitle{Title}
      \begin{itemize}
        \item Fruit: apple, banana, pear, strawberry, raspberry,
blueberry, pineapple, tomato
            %\rule{\linewidth}{.4pt}
            \begin{columns}[t]
                \begin{column}{.45\linewidth}
                    Enter text, formulas or pictures into the left
column
                \end{column}
                \begin{column}{.45\linewidth}
                    Enter text, formulas or pictures into the right
column
                \end{column}
            \end{columns}
        \item Vegetable
    \end{itemize}
\end{frame}

\end{document}
---

I'd actually like "Enter" to be left aligned with "Fruit" and
"pineapple" ... I don't mind about line breaks, I'm rather perfectly
happy with two columns with the same static widths side by side.

Any idea how to get there?

Many thanks again,
Oliver