[OS X TeX] Beamer, columns within itemize

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Aug 28 17:02:56 CEST 2009

Am 28.08.2009 um 15:12 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

> totalwidth=⟨width⟩ will cause the columns to occupy not the
> whole page width, but only ⟨width⟩, all told.

That's a reasonable thought, but \linewidth *is* the whole usable width.

> Also, the problem persists even without totalwidth set :-(

The problem is that two times 0.5\linewidth makes exactly \linewidth
and then no space is left for separators and other spaces (my short
"answer" was a bit misleading or not exact, sorry). I think what you
want is produced by this:

     \begin{itemize}
         \item Fruit
             %\rule{\linewidth}{.4pt}
             \begin{columns}[t]
                 \begin{column}{.49\linewidth}
                     Enter text into the left column
                 \end{column}
                 \begin{column}{.51\linewidth}
                     Enter text into the right column
                 \end{column}
             \end{columns}
         \item Vegetable
     \end{itemize}

The words "left" and "right" have different width so I chose
different column widths. If you want to stretch the items less space
side by side and want to add the "totalwidth=\linewidth," option,
then you should adjust (diminish) the individual column widths
accordingly.

The example above is trying to adjust itself, so flexible dimensions
allow it to fit into approximately \linewidth. (And maybe rounding
errors are helping, too.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete