[OS X TeX] Mactex (texlive2008) input of shortcuts only works if input file in same directory as .tex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 30 15:29:17 CEST 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  30 Sep, 2008, at 05:20, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>> On 30.09.2008, at 13:08, Neal Beck wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Many thanks to you (Axel) and your colleagues. I checked the path
>>> and of course you folks are right. I will take care of getting rid
>>> of fink (was an older decision).
>>>
>>> However, and I have no idea if this is a bug or a miracle I was
>>> expecting but should not have, when I do tex distribution in
>>> prefs, the radio button is on texlive-2008. (Now I know about \sw
>>> I would not have been fooled.) I have 3 dists (Fink, tl2007 and
>>> 2008, but I am staring right now at the radio button on 2008).
>>>
>>> if you are interested, my mac put the space in nealbeck 1 when I
>>> was moving stuff from an old mac
>>>
>>> thanks again
>>> neal
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as far as I know, the Fink distro is not integrated into the TeX
>> Distribution Panel.
>
> As far as I know, it is.
>
>> As it puts itself before anything else in the path, it is
>> absolutely possible to have a TeXLive-based distro checked there
>> but still have a system that relies on version installed by find.
>
> Right. But front-ends (TeXShop, iTeXmac) have their path set to /usr/
> texbin. The Preference panel sets /usr/texbin as a symlink to the
> distribution you choose. Maybe there is a way to tell Aquamacs to
> use that path as well (then no need to get rid of Fink's teTeX).
>
> Best,
>
> Axel

Howdy,

The Fink teTeX distribution is old enough that it simply modifies the
PATH directly rather than letting the TeX Distribution control panel
set the distribution (by setting, among other things, to which
distribution /usr/texbin/ ``points''). Since fink places the /sw/...
at the front of the path it gets found before /usr/texbin/.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)