tlmgr (was: [OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008)

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Sep 9 20:57:00 CEST 2008

On  9 Sep, 2008, at 08:14, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> When using the gui and clicking on the Update All button I got a
> single update even though multiple packages were listed for update.
> Maybe that was the effect of using the mirror. Using a single server
> rather than the mirror is probably the best way to avoid that
> problem but I doubt it makes CTAN happy.

I guess if we all choose the utah.edu mirror, it wouldn't make CTAN
(*and* the University) very happy; but I think that if I choose a
mirror close to my location (in my own city, as a matter of fact) no
harm is done.

Anyway, I behaved like a good citizen and, without doing any changes
to the defaults, did the upgrade and everything went well.

Now I'm thinking, though... For me is very important to have my two
machines (desktop and laptop) perfectly in sync as far as my work,
fonts and TeX is concerned ---what happens if when upgrading both
machines one uses one mirror and the other another mirror, and end up
with different versions of some packages, or worse, different binaries?

Maybe I have to check if I can time-machine my TeX distributions...

Best,

Axel