[OS X TeX] Curious xelatex font problem

Reinaert Albrecht pacasals at wol.be
Sun Sep 7 00:39:02 CEST 2008

On 06-09-2008 23:23:54 +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2008, at 10:30 PM, Reinaert Albrecht wrote:
>
>> Well, this turns out to be a lot weirder than I even could imagine.
>> The
>> problem seems to be a weird combination of iTerm and macosx's screen.
>> If I use
>> macports screen version i'm immediately out of trouble. But somehow
>> that can't
>> be derived from the environment variables... "which xelatex" gives me
>> the
>> exact same result /usr/texbin//xelatex. kpsewhich doesn't seem to
>> work, it
>> exits with 1 as exit code.
>
> No, that's just because the command that was suggested (kpsewhich
> xelatex) won't find anything -- kpsewhich doesn't look for executables
> (like "which"), but for input files, etc.
>
>> The problem seems to be macosx's screen version. I've included the env
>> output
>> in both screens. The only noticable difference seems to be in the
>> termcap
>> variables. Can that be the problem?
>
> It seems unlikely. Seeing the full transcript of a failed run might help
> us to figure out what is going wrong.
>
>> Obviously my problem is solved but I'm still curious as to why.
>> Anybody ideas?
>
> My guess is still that you have some old TeX-related binaries somewhere,
> and a path difference in the environments is affecting what is found.
> What does "locate xdvipdfmx" show?

BTW running with the exact same PATH doesn't remedy the problem... The only
installation of TEX-related binaries I have had was mactex. That's it. The
problem exists for as long as I have installed mactex (that's one month ago).
The only other installation of TEX-binaries was mactex 2008 (a few days ago)
which i tried in the hope that it would solve the problem, but it changed
nothing.

Reinaert