[OS X TeX] BibTeX-Problem on Mac: couldn't open style file/ couldn't open database file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 30 03:07:48 CET 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

>>> It might work when you move (drag) the test directory (folder)
>>> into /
>>> Users/myUserName/Library/texmf.
>>
>> no it still doesn't work... same error:  :-(
>
> A really stupid question, just to clear something up: in what
> directory did you put the .bst file?
>
> It seems that kpsewhich (and presumably the TeX commands in general)
> are kind of persnickity about where they expect to find specific
> kinds of files.
>
> If I put "fred.bst" into my local texmf tree (~/Library/texmf), I
> get the following from kpsewhich
>
> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex      Not Found
> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst  Found
> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib  Not Found
>
> If I put "fred" (no ".bst") in either of those locations, it is not
> found.
>
> HTH
>
> Justin

Howdy,

The unsrt.bst file is part of MacTeX-2008 (TeX Live 2008) and is in
the correct location; I'm able to compile the file(s) fine. I'm
wondering whether the the full MacTeX is really installed, that's why
I asked what the System Preferences->TeX Distribution preference pane
said about the active distribution. It's also why I wondered what the
command

echo $PATH

run in Terminal returned.

It the .bib files are in the same directory as the .tex file that
should be ok also.

Also, what does

which bibtex

return in Terminal?