[OS X TeX] Slow MacTeX 2008

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Thu Oct 30 01:15:49 CET 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:05 , David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM
wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2008, at 09:49, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>

>> What is your desktop system (processor, speed)?  And what version
>> of Mac OS X are you running?
>>
>> FWIW, there are tools that can help with this.  I would start with
>> "fs_usage", which will print all file-system-related system calls,
>> together with the time taken for each, and the file, if any,
>> involved.
>

> I'm running a PowerMac dual G5, 2.0 GHz, OS X 10.5.5 and it's patched.
>
> It's funny -- I've been using unix (linux) for nearly 15 years and
> OS X for about five years and am still learning things about
> *nix! :) I kinda like that.

Me too :-}  Most of the Mac OS X performance utilities and apps were,
of course, developed for Mac OS X and were not available on other
systems, but in general, poking around in the lower drawers of the
system will always pay dividends (and lost time)...

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large