[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 19 06:24:38 CET 2008

Greetings,

For what it is worth, I increased my ram from 1 Gb to 1.5 Gb and
there was little or no improvement in typesetting speed in TS. I
still observe the slowdown with time - after a clean boot, it takes
about 12-13 seconds to typeset my 224 page book and after working on
it for a few hours, the typeset time increases to 30 seconds. Nothing
else is open except for Safari and I am monitoring the memory stats
using the Activity Monitor and I still have a 480 Mb region of free
space (green in the app).  Formerly (with 1 Gb),  the green region
shrank to a very small value and I thought that this was the problem.
Apparently, low memory is not the problem.

By the way, quitting Safari restores the original speed (13 seconds).
So, even though it is idle, it is using enough resources to more than
double the typesetting time? I didn't look at the %CPU time, but from
previous experience, it is very small when Safari is idle. Safari and
Firefox have known memory leaks, but with nearly 500 Mb free, this
shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney