[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard MacTeX PATH problems, still

David Airey david.airey at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Mar 23 04:21:57 CET 2008

Dear Dr. Koch,

First, you should not apologize, because I have not paid you for your
ongoing efforts. Second, I'd like to thank you for the effort you do
expend.

Before I try to follow what you say, I want to make absolutely sure I
don't screw things up. My understanding is that your previous scripts
failed to change my files

/etc/csh.login
/etc/login

because I had upgraded from Tiger and these files had previously been
modified, and so are still active, and my other files like, /etc/
paths.d/TeX, are being ignored, despite being installed correctly.

These two files above currently have contents, respectively:

--paste--
# System-wide .login file for csh(1).

setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
---------

and

--paste--
# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
	[ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi
---------

The easiest fix you describe, is to change these files, even though I
currently use Leopard to contain this text below, but you don't say
whether I simply append this text to the text above or instead of the
text above? Because this procedure is still not well enough documented
for me, I may just wait.

/etc/csh.login

## TeX added /usr/texbin start at Sun Apr 15 14:18:37 PDT 2007
## Do not remove the previous line
if ("${uid}" != "0") then
set path = ( ${path} "/usr/texbin" )
endif
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX added /usr/texbin end at Sun Apr 15 14:18:37 PDT 2007

/etc/login

## TeX added /usr/texbin start at Sun Apr 15 14:18:37 PDT 2007
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
PATH="$PATH:/usr/texbin"
export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX added /usr/texbin end at Sun Apr 15 14:18:37 PDT 2007

Other files will need changing as well....