[OS X TeX] How Long...

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jun 22 01:18:00 CEST 2008

Hi all,

On 21/06/2008, at 11:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> In assembling software for the MacTeX 2008 release I've stumbled
> across a bit of a dilemma that may be a bit controversial. The
> questions is... How much longer should we support Panther (OS X
> 10.3.9).
>
> More and more software updates have dropped Panther support so that
> requires having two versions of the software in the MacTeX (and
> MacTeXtras) distribution; an older one for Panther and a newer one
> for Tiger/Leopard. This is leading to a bit of bloat in the
> distribution as well as limiting what can be included because of
> space considerations.

I'm generally against throwing away things that are still potentially
very useful.

Either ensure that older versions of MacTeX are well-preserved
and easily accessible on a website, or ...

> One very recent example is the release of Aquamacs Emacs 1.4 which
> is no longer Panther compatible. Since this is a large
> distribution, a >50MB dmg file, it is impractical to include both
> the 1.4 and 1.3b (Panther compatible) versions in MacTeX.

  ... do not include images of software distributions that are well-
packaged
already. Simply have links to their own distribution sites; that way the
developers can get a better idea of how much their own stuff is being
used.

> So, let the discussion begin. How many people, especially at
> Universities and other Organizations, which distribute software via
> Disk still need Panther versions?

Are we talking about distribution on a CD or DVD?
If a CD, then definitely use links to large dmg files.
If a DVD, then are were really close to filling it up already?

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Hope this helps,