[OS X TeX] How Long...

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at ensmp.fr
Sat Jun 21 21:31:34 CEST 2008

Le 21 juin 08 à 15:28, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> Howdy,
>
> In assembling software for the MacTeX 2008 release I've stumbled
> across a bit of a dilemma that may be a bit controversial. The
> questions is... How much longer should we support Panther (OS X
> 10.3.9).
>
> More and more software updates have dropped Panther support so that
> requires having two versions of the software in the MacTeX (and
> MacTeXtras) distribution; an older one for Panther and a newer one
> for Tiger/Leopard. This is leading to a bit of bloat in the
> distribution as well as limiting what can be included because of
> space considerations.
>
> One very recent example is the release of Aquamacs Emacs 1.4 which
> is no longer Panther compatible. Since this is a large
> distribution, a >50MB dmg file, it is impractical to include both
> the 1.4 and 1.3b (Panther compatible) versions in MacTeX.
>
> So, let the discussion begin. How many people, especially at
> Universities and other Organizations, which distribute software via
> Disk still need Panther versions?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

we are a very small lab, but most of our Mac/TeX users use Tiger or
Leopard. I still have two machines at home running Panther, but my
copy of MacTeX 2007 is multiply backed up. So I'd say: drop Panther.
I think it is relevent, however, to keep versions o MacTeX both for
PPC and Intel (as far as I am concerned, I run TeX on a Tiger macBook
Pro, but I plan to move soon to leopard (in fact, as soon as I check
goes along nice with TeX :-) ).

After all, the move to Intel was in 2006, if I remember well, and, to
put things in scope, AppleCare is 3 year long...

cheers from Paris
François