[OS X TeX] colorbox

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:42:06 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 30.07.2008 um 18:59 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Yellow fraction line:
>> $\color{yellow}\dfrac{\color{black}a}{\color{black}b}$.
>

> I don't think that Schremmer wants to change the colour of this
> line, he rather wants to emphasise on this particle and build a
> relation between a negative exponent (starting with a line like -)
> and dividing 1 exponent times by the number, i.e., 1 over (another
> line) number \times number \times number ... And similarly for
> positive exponents.

Indeed. Highlighting, as you would with a yellow marker.

> He is writing a schoolbook ... or one for kindergarten use?

No way! With kindergarten children, I could do, as I have done, real
mathematics. This text is for the mathematical victims of a peculiar
American institution called Developmental Education.

Here is the recipe for creating Developmental Students: You severely
maim kindergarten children with a few well honed techniques, you then
let them stew for 12 years in school and, "voilà" as my colleagues
would say in English: They are ready for Developmental Education.

> Working title: Magnus Opium.

Well, that's for the cognoscenti.

The more modest title is:

 From Arithmetic to Differential Calculus in Three Semesters with a
Chance of Passing the Sequence Significantly Higher Than the Current
Pass Rate of Less Than One Quarter of One Percent in the Traditional
Six Semester Sequence.

Regards
--schremmer

P.S. Since this is severely off topic, I would suggest that any
response occur as "comments" on http://www.freemathtexts.org/Notes/
(The list there is still at the conceptual stage.)