[OS X TeX] includegraphics in xelatex and filenames with spaces

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 6 12:03:45 CET 2008

On 6 feb 2008, at 11:53, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2008, at 10:31 am, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>

>> On 5 feb 2008, at 12:55, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>>> Right; this is the default up to 0.996; it will change in 0.997,
>>> for better compatibility across platforms, better performance on
>>> most files, support for virtual fonts, and better support for a
>>> variety of LaTeX packages. The downside will be the loss of
>>> support for older Mac font formats (LWFN-package PostScript), and
>>> for a bunch of graphics formats, including TIFF, until/unless
>>> support for these is added to xdvipdfmx.
>>>
>>> xdv2pdf remains available but you'll have to explicitly choose to
>>> use it if you want it (in 0.997 and beyond). For most users and
>>> most documents, xdvipdfmx seems to be the better default.
>>
>> Will the error message be produced by latex of by xetex? What error
>> message will xelatex produce when a tiff file is encountered while
>> using xdvipdfmx? I'm asking to reduce the number of messages on the
>> various mailing lists.
>
> XeTeX or XeLaTeX has no way of knowing the capabilities of the
> output driver you will use; it just generates (extended) DVI with
> references to the image files. So you won't get an error message
> from XeTeX itself or from the LaTeX macros if you use a graphics
> format that the driver doesn't handle; the only thing that can
>
> Therefore, I think it will be best if the default xetex.def file
> shipped with XeTeX 0.997-based systems configures the LaTeX graphics
> package to recognize only PDF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, and EPS files, as
> those should work universally.

Understood. But I think it is a good idea to ensure that the error
message one gets when running an older document with the new settings
(in a combination that will fail), is an easy find with Google, with
suggestions on how to proceed (either use a format that is recognised,
or use a different output driver). And the only way to ensure that the
xetex error message is unique, is to make it fail in the output
driver, which is an argument against limiting the extensions. Just
make sure that extensions that can be handled are found before those
that can't.

Best,

Maarten