[OS X TeX] Installing Lucida fonts under home folder

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 20:41:20 CEST 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> So I'm installing the Lucida fonts that I just purchased from TUG
>> under my home folder (i.e. in ~/Library/texmf), and the
>> instructions are a bit too cryptic. So I need some help. I unzipped
>> the lucida-complete file, and I put all the files in the right
>> places (I think) under ~/Library/texmf. If I'm reading the
>> instructions correctly, what I need to do next is run updmap (not
>> updmap-sys, because I'm just installing them for myself, right?),
>> but I have some questions.
>>

>> (2) Where should I put the output files? Do I need to use the --
>> outputdir directory option? If so, what argument? Do I just run:
>>
>> updmap --enable Map lucida.map
>>
>> or do I need to use some other options?
>

> Bruno may correct me here since this may have changed, but I believe
> you need to run:
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> if they are installed in ~/Library, rather than:
>
> sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> when they are installed system-wide.

Thanks for the reply. I have some followup questions :-).

(1) My account isn't an admin account, and it's not on the sudo list.
Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve sudo? (I am the admin
for the machine. It's just that the account I use on a daily basis
isn't an admin account.)

(2) Where will the map files go? I'd like to have _everything_ related
to this end up under ~/Library/texmf, if possible. Is that what will
happen if I run "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map"? If not, is
there a way to set up TeX so that all the lucida-enabling bits live
under ~/Library/texmf?

Chris