[OS X TeX] Footnote appearing on subsequent page

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:04:39 CEST 2008

I am working on an upcoming book, and the editor pointed out a
peculiar problem with footnotes. In a particular chapter, the
following happens:

A footnote reference appears at the top of a page (say page 52).
No other footnote references appear on the same page.
The next page (53) contains figures. Two figures are involved, one
appearing later in the text than the footnote of page 52. The other
shortly following it.
The actual footnote referenced in page 52 appears in page 54, the
page following the figures, along with another footnote referenced on
page 54.

No tables are involved.

So obviously I would want the footnote to appear on page 52. Anyone
have any thoughts on why this might be happening?
I can try to provide more information, but I am not sure what
information would be relevant and I don't want to overwhelm this post.

I've appended what I consider to be the relevant part from my
preamble, including all the packages used (and not used). The sunil
package is from the publisher so I am not sure I can provide it all,
but I have pasted the part that I think might be relevant at the end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College

\documentclass[a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{sunil}
% \usepackage[british]{babel} % For hyphenation?
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{theorem}
\usepackage{graphicx}
%\usepackage{srcltx}
\usepackage{subfigure}
\usepackage{makeidx}
% \usepackage{showidx}
% \usepackage{multicol}   % Doesn't seem to be needed
% \usepackage{array}
\usepackage[bottom]{footmisc} % places footnotes at page bottom
\usepackage{varioref}
\usepackage{amsopn}
\usepackage{paralist}
\usepackage{natbib}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{through,calc}

\usepackage{times} % Sets font to use
% \usepackage{mathptmx} % Sets math font to use
\usepackage[varg]{txfonts} % Sets math font to use

 From sunil.sty:

\footnotesep0pt
\skip\footins18pt plus9pt
\skip\@mpfootins\skip\footins
\def\footnotestrut{\rule{0pt}{12pt}}
\def\footnoterule{%
   \kern-3pt
   \noindent
   \hbox to 72pt{\hrulefill}
   \kern 2.6pt}
\long\def\@makefntext#1{%
   \parindent0\p@\noindent
   \@makefnmark#1}

Best I could tell this is the only references too footnotes