[OS X TeX] Footnote appearing on subsequent page

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Aug 3 22:35:32 CEST 2008

At 1:04 PM -0400 8/3/08, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>I am working on an upcoming book, and the editor pointed out a
>peculiar problem with footnotes. In a particular chapter, the
>following happens:
>
>A footnote reference appears at the top of a page (say page 52).
>No other footnote references appear on the same page.
>The next page (53) contains figures. Two figures are involved, one
>appearing later in the text than the footnote of page 52. The other
>shortly following it.
>The actual footnote referenced in page 52 appears in page 54, the
>page following the figures, along with another footnote referenced
>on page 54.
>
>No tables are involved.
>
>So obviously I would want the footnote to appear on page 52. Anyone
>have any thoughts on why this might be happening?

This might unfortunately be a combination of either known behaviour
or a known bug in LaTeX. If a page contains only floats, latex will
not put any footnotes on it.  But there is also a bug involving
footnote placement.  Here's a thread from comp.text.tex and the latex
bug report that might help.  You may want to ask your question on
c.t.t, too.

<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/295004635942e4ff/7a3cf1b93303833f?lnk=st&q=footnote+latex+floats#7a3cf1b93303833f>

<http://www.latex-project.org/cgi-bin/ltxbugs2html?pr=latex/3370&category=LaTeX&responsible=anyone&state=anything&keyword=footnote&search=>

Alan