[OS X TeX] hyperref and apacite

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Fri Apr 4 22:00:56 CEST 2008

Hi Salvatore,

My apologies. There is no harm in downloading and installing the
latest version from ctan.

When you get the package contents from ctan, which can be downloaded
as individual files or as a zip file, put them somewhere easily
accessed on your computer, e.g. Desktop.

I usually find it easiest to use Terminal, so we can open that and cd
to the Desktop, then run LaTeX on the apacite.ins file. This will
produce the necessary files you will use in LaTeX which are then moved
into the right directory on your system. Finally you will update the
TeX databases to be certain the files are known about.

So, with the files downloaded to your desktop and if necessary,
unzipped:

[Move to the Desktop]

 > G5-2: alantlitchfield$ cd ~/Desktop

[Then make the necessary files]

 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ latex apacite.ins

[Lots of output here. Ignore the line that says "no pages of output".]

[You will now have a bunch of files with files types of .bib, .sty,
apc, .drv, and .bst. Move all these files to the right place. Your
directory might not be in quite the same place as mine so you need to
know where yours is first. I use TeXLive 2007 at the moment, so...]

 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo mv *.apc /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-dist/tex/latex/apacite/
 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo mv *.sty /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-dist/tex/latex/apacite/
 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo mv *.bib /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-dist/tex/latex/apacite/
 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo mv *.bst /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-dist/tex/latex/apacite/
 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo mv *.drv /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-dist/tex/latex/apacite/

[With them in place, now update the databases]

 > G5-2:Desktop alantlitchfield$ sudo texhash
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

Cheers
Alan