[OS X TeX] book vs KOMA-Script VS memoir classes

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Mon Sep 24 19:58:29 CEST 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:48 AM, David Oliver wrote:

> Can those with experience with these classes comment on and
> critique the relative merits of book, KOMA-Script, and memoir
> classes for book production in LaTeX.

I haven't used koma but I do use memoir regularly, even for reports
and articles which look much better than the corresponding default
latex classes. I like the layout in memoir as well as the very
informative manual. Memoir incorporates the functionality of several
other packages (such as framed, shaded, etc) so they don't have to be
loaded separately. It also forces you to clean up obsolete code (e.g.
\bf, \it, etc), which, while annoying in the beginning, builds good
habits on the long run.

Themis