[OS X TeX] Difficulties with MacTex

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 19 02:55:06 CEST 2007

Alain,

I suggest that you go to

	www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html

and read about exactly what is in MacTeX.  In particular, for TeX Live
you get exactly what you'd get if you installed a complete install
from the DVD except that

	0) Beamer is updated, since the new version wasn't on CTAN when the
DVD was produced

	1) A user's local tree is in ~/Library/texmf rather than the default
~/texmf (this is set in a line in the install script)

	2) MacTeX sets up PATH and MANPATH exactly as Gerben does, but the
install script doesn't

	3) MacTeX adds the TeX Dist data structure by Gerben and Laurens

I'll let experts answer your other questions.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu

On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:34 PM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hello
>
> I try on a new macbook intel to install MacTeX and I've some
> problems. The installation seems to be different that the gwTeX....
>
> 1) Is there a possiblity to choice the languages for babel because I
> need only english and french.
> Perhaps with textconfig ... I try it but without success

Incidentally, MacTeX is deliberately constructed to install everything
and not bother the user with decisions, particularly those which a new
user will not understand.