[OS X TeX] Re: Hide temporary files created by TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Sep 17 22:32:47 CEST 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Markus S wrote:

>> on macosxhints a small pyhton script was published that moves all
>> auxilliary files into a an invisible .tmp directory:
>> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070906022746216
>> [...] are there any downsides to this procedure?
>
> I've found one downside: bibtex does not work anymore since it
> cannot find the .aux file (which now sits in the .tmp directory).
>
> I've tried to create a Python script that calls bibtex similar to
> the original Python script. Bibtex however does not seem to support
> the '--output-directory' option, nor do I know how to tell bibtex
> that the .aux sits in .tmp (and that .bst does not sit in .tmp).

Howdy,

There are all sorts of things that can go wrong doing that. I think
it's easier to just use a macro that will delete all the extraneous
files once you're done using them. TeXShop even has a built-in
command, File->Trash Aux Files (Ctl-Cmd-A), to do that sort of thing.
You can add extensions to that command as a hidden preference; see
TeXShop Help.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)