[OS X TeX] eps/fonts problem with pdflatex

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Oct 28 21:41:48 CET 2007

Le 28 oct. 07 à 10:21, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 28.10.2007 um 00:54 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> /usr/texbin/dvips: Font Myriad-Bold used in file ./NEW/
>> HubbardFig02.eps is not in the mapping file.
>> /usr/texbin/dvips: Font Myriad-Bold used in file ./NEW/
>> HubbardFig02.eps is not in the mapping file.
>> [...]
>
> Where are the Myriad font files? What type are they (probably True-
> or OpenType)? OpenType will be a problem. Can you imagine to change
> the EPS files to use different fonts, those that are already
> installed in TeX?
>
> Font Book (Livre des polices) can give you the font names (« Nom
> PostScript ») – that's the entity dvips actually sees. Then you
> could create a new directory ('sudo mkdir /usr/local/gwTeX/
> texmf.pkgs/fonts/map/dvips/local' or 'sudo mkdir /usr/local/texlive/
> texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/local') and create a new MAP file
> fragment Myriad.map in that directory with nano or pico editor and
> a contents like:

> for each font (the text between ``«´´ and ``»´´ has to be
> substituted with real names, the one ``<´´ is part of the syntax).
> I am neglecting any font re-encoding here! I hope any re-encoding
> is recorded in the EPS file. Then you would need to "install" the
> fonts in TeX:
>
> 	sudo mdkir -p /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/fonts/truetype/Myriad
> (or 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/
> Myriad')
> 	cd /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/fonts/truetype/Myriad (or 'cd /usr/
> local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/Myriad')
>
> Now comes a tricky part: you would need to tell on the command line
> all the Myriad font files, like for example
>
> 	sudo apply 'ln -s' /Library/Fonts/MyriadPro-*
>
> If it's not that simple with a wild-card (*), then name all file
> path names after the command 'ln -s'. Check with 'ls -l' that the
> work was done properly and type kind of a good bye: 'cd'. Now it's
> time to update TeX:
>
> 	sudo texhash
> 	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=Myriad.map
>

> It seems that the Myriad fonts are not included in the EPS (so they
> are no valid EPS) files.

You are right !

This was the clue. I am so used now to TeXLive/TeXShop that I could
not imagine that the fonts were not included in the EPS files.

In the good old days of Textures, it was enough to include the fonts
in the first picture, or even to use them in the text. In the present
case, the Myriad fonts had been used in the text, just at the
beginning, and need not to be included in the pictures.

So the solution is to reread the pictures with Illustrator (e.g.) and
to ask "include the fonts" when saving them (everyone of them).

Thank you for all your hard work, Peter.

André