[OS X TeX] subversion (was: Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #2237 - 10/13/07)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Oct 14 20:26:32 CEST 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 17:34, Nathan Dunfield wrote:

> Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> You can use svnserve or Apache.  The simplest route is probably to
>> use
>> svnserve.  See <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06.html> for
>> details.
>
> As I said, I don't use Subversion, but for CVS *running any kind of
> server* for a small  collaboration like this is *completely
> unnecessary* and probably a bad idea for amateurs like myself, and
> I'm pretty sure this is true for Subversion as well.

You can use svn+ssh to access a subversion repo, but svnserve still
has to be set up correctly; it looks like svn+ssh uses it underneath.
For multiple user access to a repo, this means permissions and groups
have to be set up carefully.  The subversion documentation explains
how to do this.

>   All you need to do is give your collaborator an account on your
> Mac Pro and then allow him/her to log in remotely via SSH (in
> Preferences->Sharing, just check the box "Remote Login").  Then you
> only have to master using Subversion locally (TortoiseSVN etc, will
> make this transparent to the end user), and make sure that the
> repository is set up so both users have write permission to it (e.g.
> make it world-writeable).

Do NOT make it world writeable!  Security needs to be taken seriously,
especially if you're giving others access to your system.

--
adam